The aim of this course is to develop boat handling, seamanship, pilotage, and navigation skills up to the standards required to drive a planing powerboat safely.
Boat Safety Course
- Person 16+ years old
Provide boat safety & learn how to rescue!
The aim of this course is to introduce you to the techniques, skills, equipment, and communications whilst at the same time ensuring that you have the knowledge and skill to take charge of powerboats which are involved in:
- Escorting racing fleets of dinghies, windsurfers, canoes, and powerboats
- Providing safety cover for training fleets, racing fleets, water festivals, and water activities within local communities on inland and inshore areas
- Assisting in race management duties (sailing and powerboat)
- Operating in areas you are familiar with during hours of darkness
Previous knowledge/experience required: You must hold the Irish Sailing National Powerboat Certificate or an equivalent certificate and 20 hours driving experience following qualification. It is strongly recommended that at least one member of a safety boat’s crew should hold a first-aid certificate and the Short Range (SRC) VHF radio operator’s certificate.
The Boat Safety Course takes a three-module approach depending on the type of use. Each module should ordinarily consist of a minimum of seven hours of contact. To achieve the certificate, no less than two modules, including Module 1, must be successfully completed. However, the length of the course may be extended where it suits participants to take a more relaxed approach to the programme.
By the end of this course, you are able to do the following:
- Preparation of boat for use
- Basic boat handling
- Recover a kayak from the water, empty it, and assist the paddler(s) in getting back into their boat
- Incident management and medical emergencies